IV #2, Stim Day 9. AKA known as the day I cried all the way home from the RE

The other day, DH and I were out driving and as we pulled up the stoplight, turning right, I noticed a lady crying in her car across the way.  I said something about poor girl, must be a hard day.  DH remarked that I seemed to always see girls crying in their car, but that he never saw them. 

Well, I guess maybe it’s because I’ve spent a good bit of time crying in my car, like today.  There are still 5 or 6 follicles.  All are still growing.  I say “or 6” because they 6th one is only an 8 and the rest are 12 and 13.  The RE doesn’t seem to worried, but she keeps telling me to tell the acupuncturist (yes, I’m going again.  They turned me into an incense burner the other day — moxibustion — which seemed to make the RE happy) to work on blood flow.

Last time I had 9 follicles, retrieved 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 3 made it to Day 3.  All 3 transferred — BFN. 

So, if we take that math and start with 5.  5 follicles (cut in half) = 3 eggs.  80% of 3 is 2.  Lose one = 1 possible embryo to transfer.  If you compound only having one with my immune system.  Well, the picture is not pretty.

Hence the tears.  I’d been existing in a state of denial up until now.  I kept thinking that maybe she’d see one or 2 that were tucked away.  Or that little straggler would catch up.  

My DH and Mom both say “you only need one.”  That sounds great, but I’ve read enough and am scientific enough to know that really isn’t likely.  Most of the time, if there’s only 1 – it’s a really, really good one in order for it to work.  I only had 1 8 cell last time and it was a Grade B (not Grade A, the top).  

DH said that maybe that one would be our miracle baby.

I don’t believe in miracles, though.

So, I’m going to ask the RE in the morning about cancelling.  To go forward, it will cost us thousands of dollars.  (I don’t even know how many thousand, I know at least 2500, maybe more).  To refuse to recognize the reality of where I am, well that just seems, well, silly.  Once I have that conversation, I will make a final decision. It’s so hard to even type this. This really is one of those moments where it seems like it works for everyone else… but not me.  Even though I was in a waiting room full of women, doing the same thing as me, all I could think was that they were the 95% who it eventually works for.  And, I’m the 5%.  The one that they’re scared to be.

Hopefully, I can make it through the rest of the day without drivin n cryin.  

2 thoughts on “IV #2, Stim Day 9. AKA known as the day I cried all the way home from the RE

  1. It’s hard to put so much hope into something that seems hopeless. I think it’s a good idea to talk to your doc and get a realistic picture of your chances. Still, I also hope you don’t have to cancel this cycle and that it does work for you. And if not, that you’re able to work with your RE to find a solution. Sending you hugs!

    • THanks. Went to the RE today and was given the “you will make it to transfer. Be positive. Stay focused” speech. So… that’s what I’m doing!

      Thanks for the understanding thoughts and words. I had such a hard time even thinking of cancelling, but I needed to at least discuss it.

Thanks for commenting!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s